Friday, September 28, 2007

The Awesome Power of the Intertubes

by JW

Truly the Internet is mighty! This morning over coffee I finally made successful Ichat Video contact with Peabody bass student Mr. Lee Philip, who was just preparing for a night on the town, that town being Singapore, where he is spending the semester at our sister school, Yong Siew Toh Conservatory. As his tiny, grainy image appeared on my screen, I thought, "Yes! Finally this damn thing is gonna do what it's supposed to!" Then we discovered that, while Lee could also see me, he could not hear me at all, resulting in our having the immensely pleasurable experience of watching each other type IMs to each other on opposite sides of the world. I could hear Lee, so I was treated to the gentle click of fingers on keyboard. We're going to try again with Skype and see if we have better luck.

No comments: