Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Peabody '09-'10: Week Two


Week 2 at this Fall has brought that realization that his most college students before long: It’s a marathon, not a sprint. We all get excited and wound up for our school “firsts” - first lesson of the year, first orchestra rehearsal, first new bass student that we meet in the hallway, first night out with friends. Then week two arrives and we realize that those were indeed firsts - the first of many lessons, rehearsals, and yes, nights out partying....

I go through this cycle as well. I spend a lot of time over the Summer planning for the school year, working on plans and ideas for my students, organizing class schedules and curriculum, and doing long-term recruitment and planning work. I’m always excited to see my students and unveil my brilliant plans I’ve so carefully constructed for them and for myself. Then, just like my students do, I run into reality. My plans will take time and effort to come to fruition. Some of them my turn out to be unsuccessful. I may have to make some adjustments along the way.

There’s nothing wrong with any of that, but I personally always find it incredibly frustrating when reality doesn’t match up with my carefully organized plans for it! Oh well, nothing to do about it but pick myself up, dust myself off and get my marathon shoes on....

No comments: